Guides and Factsheets
Are you thinking about joining the LGPS and need to know more information? Or are you just curious to find out more about your pension? Our helpful guides and factsheets can help. All material is available in large print or braille upon request.
Joining or rejoining the scheme? - A Brief Guide to Your Pension
Leaving the Scheme? Leaving the LGPS Guide
Changing jobs or opting out of the Scheme? The Leaving the LGPS Guide provides information for members who are about to leave the LGPS.
About to retire? - Information for New Pensioners
About to retire? The Information for New Pensioners guide is a guide to the payment of your benefits on leaving the Scheme.
Are you a Councillor? - A Brief Guide to Your Pension
Our Councillor Full Scheme Guide provides basic information on the LGPS specifically for Councillors
Survivors Pension for a Cohabiting Partner
In the event of your death a survivors pension may be payable to a co-habiting partner, subject to certain conditions.
A survivor’s pension will only be paid to a co-habiting partner if the co-habiting partner satisfies the required conditions that have been met for a continuous period of at least 2 years immediately prior to the member’s death.
- both the member and their co-habiting partner were free to marry each other or to enter into a civil partnership with each other, and
- the member and their co-habiting partner have been living together as if they were husband and wife, or civil partners, and
- neither the member or their co-habiting partner have been living with someone else as if they were husband and wife or civil partners, and
- either the co-habiting partner is financially dependent on the member or they are financially interdependent on each other.
LPFA produce a number of Factsheets which provide specific details about certain areas and benefits of the LGPS. Please note these factsheets apply to the 2008 Scheme.
- Benefits Factsheet
- Leave without pay Factsheet
- Flexible Retirement Factsheet
- Transfer In Factsheet
- Change Of Hours Factsheet
- Part time workers Factsheet
- Life Cover Factsheet
- Re-employment Factsheet
- Pension Sharing Factsheet
LGPS 2014 leaflets
These leaflets are designed to highlight the changes to the LGPS effective from 1 April 2014.
- The LGPS is changing from 1 April 2014
- When can I take my pension?
- How is my pension calculated?
- Contributions and flexibility to pay more or less
- Myth busters
- Paying into the LGPS before April 2014?
- State retirement age
- FAQ Factsheet
- Pension Freedom and Choice Leaflet
- Aggregation Leaflet